Released March 11, 2021:
Lewistown Community Covid-19 Collaborative
- On February 27th, 2021 the FDA issued Emergency Use Authorization (EAU) for a third vaccine for Covid-19 the illness caused by SARS-CoV-2.
- The Janssen Vaccine from the Janssen Pharmaceutical company of Johnson & Johnson is a single dose vaccine approved for ages 18 and older.
- The Moderna Vaccine is approved for ages 18 and older, and the Pfizer Vaccine is approved for ages 16 and older-both require two doses.
- As of March 10th, over 323,000 doses have been administered and over 121,000 Montanans are fully immunized.
- On March 8th, Montana shifted from Phase 1B to Phase 1B+ of the State’s vaccination plan.
- Phase 1B+ includes all Montanan’s over 60 and includes additional health conditions not included in Phase 1B.
- The Montana DPHHS estimates that in Montana Phase 1C will begin in mid to late spring. Phase 1C includes frontline essential workers such as teachers, first responders, grocery store staff, group home and correctional facility residents.
- The Central Montana Health District and The Fergus County Nurses Office have been administering vaccines to individuals in the above categories as they receive doses.
Federal Retail Pharmacy Program for Covid-19:
- The federal retail pharmacy program is a strategy by the federal government to expand vaccine access to the American public.
- On March 2nd, the president announced that the program will prioritize vaccinating all school staff and childcare workers during the month of March! The program is being implemented based on vaccine supply and will include 9,000 pharmacy locations nationwide.
- In Lewistown, Osco pharmacy at Albertsons is accepting online appointments for teachers, school staff, and childcare providers. Appointments are subject to vaccine availability.
Other Vaccine Information:
- Covid-19 vaccines are effective in preventing severe illness!
- Scientists don’t know yet how well the vaccine prevents spreading the virus to others even if there are no symptoms.
- Fully vaccinated individuals should still take precautions in public places - masking, social distancing, avoiding crowds in poorly ventilated spaces and washing hands.
- Scientists do not yet know how long immunity lasts or how well they protect against new variants.
- Fully vaccinated individuals who don't live in a group setting will not need to be quarantined or tested if exposed to Covid-19.
- People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after the second dose of Moderna or Pfizer or two weeks after the single dose Janssen Vaccine.
We live in a great community! Let's work together!!